Week beginning August13th – Foundation to Year 2
Numbers as Shapes
Here are the numbers 1 to 6 drawn using coloured squares:
We can call these numbers squares, rectangles or sticks.
1 is a square but just a single one.
- We can’t make 2 into a square so 2 is a stick.
- We can’t make 3 into a square or a rectangle so 3 can only be a stick.
- We can make 4 into a square.
- We can’t make 5 into a square or a rectangle, so 5 can only be a stick.
- We can’t make 6 into a square, but we can make 6 into a rectangle.
If you had 7 yellow squares, what could you make them into? A square, a rectangle or a stick? How about 8 squares?
Try this with the numbers up to and including 20.
- Which ones can only be sticks?
- Which ones can make rectangles?
- Which ones are squares?
- What do you notice?