Week beginning November 19th – Year 3 to 6
The Puzzling Sweet Shop
Ruby went into the sweet shop with 10¢ to spend. There were chews for 2¢, mini eggs for 3¢, Chocko bars for 5¢ and lollypops for 7¢.
What could she buy if she wanted to spend all her money?
- Leo, Kai, Sara and Harry went into the shop too. They each had 20¢ to spend and they all spent all of their money.
- Leo bought at least one of each kind of sweet. Which one did he have two of?
- Kai spent his money on just one kind of sweet, but he does not like chews. Which sweets did he buy?
- Sara bought the same number of sweets as Kai but she had 3 different kinds. Which sweets did she buy?
- Harry chose 8 sweets. What could he have bought?
Rosie can buy:
One lollypop and one mini egg.
One chocko bar, one mini egg and one chew.
Leo bought two mini eggs. I know this because this is the only combination of sweets which add up to 20c where he bought at least one set of every sweet.
Kai bought 4 chocko bars. I know this because it is the only sweet that has a price that can divide into 20c exactly where chews are not included.
Sara bought 2 chocko bars, one lollipop and a mini egg.
Harry bought one chocko bar, one mini egg and 6 chews.